Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pickles!

Today I made pickles, and about halfway through I thought… I will show YOU how to make wonderful crispy, refrigerated pickles, too! Thanks to my dearest friend Linda, who LOVES trying new recipes and passes them on to me. These are my absolute favorite pickles!

You’ll need a small basket of cucumber pickles, roughly 12-15 pickles. (Yes, at the farmers market, they look like overgrown dill pickles you buy in a jar at the grocery store.) And a couple of medium onions.

Cut the pickles and onion into thin slices and layer them in a glass or crockery bowl. I use my porcelain mixing bowl.

IMG_0563

This morning I had three layers starting with pickles and ending with onions.

In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed, mustard seed and tumeric.

IMG_0565

Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over pickles and onion.

IMG_0568

Do not stir.

Cover tightly (I snap the lid on my bowl) and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.

I usually pack them with some of the juice into small (3-4 oz) jars or Ziploc plastic containers, so I can share!

That’s it! Super simple (under 30 minutes start to finish) and I promise, the results are definitely worth it!!

IMG_0567

The recipe says they’ll keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 weeks. (I promise they won’t last that long once you try them!)

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I will definitely do those pickles.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can feel free to share with me....I hope my little bottle of these wonderful pickles are already in the mail to ME!!! ;)
    I love me some pickles!
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to comment the other day I was here,due to being silly with worry for my daughter. These are my favorite pickles too and I meant to copy the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, you are so versatile! I am going to try this, thanks, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pickles look so good.. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.. I'll have to make some..
    Stephenie

    ReplyDelete